The application deadline is April 29, 2018.
Further information and the application form can be found here.
Summer School: August 06 - August 31, 2018
Sheffield: August 06 - August 10, 2018
Manchester: August 13 - August 17, 2018
Berlin: August 20 - August 31, 2018
Successful applicants will have to attend the preparation seminar: May 09, 2018 at 02.00 pm.
“In conclusion, my opinion about the summer school is that I would recommend it to every female friend, since it helped me to think about things that I did not know or I did not care about.”
(Marika G., participant in 2017)
The Summer School "Diversity in the Cultures of Physics" will be held at the University of Sheffield (UoS), the University of Manchester (UoM) and at Freie Universität Berlin (FUB). The aspiration is to facilitate the steps to a PhD for young female physicists and empower them in their career planning.
The Summer School addresses young female physics students who:
- are in the final phase of their bachelor, enrolled in a master programme or at the beginning of their PhD
- study at UoS, UoS or FUB (four places are also open for students of other Universities in UK or Germany)
- are interested in the political and social framework of doing physics
- want to know more about how physics is shaped by gender and diversity
Aims of the Summer School
- gain an insight into the variety of research fields of women physicists in Europe
- establish contacts which may result in future collaborations and stays abroad
- get to know the professional networks in physics
- learn about national and international equality oriented advancement programs for young female scientists
- become familiar with work place cultures of physics in actual cultural, political and everyday context
- learn about equality politics at European universities and research institutions
- learn about the role of gender and diversity in physics
Programme of the Summer School
The participants will spend four weeks together, one week in Sheffield, one week in Manchester and two weeks in Berlin.
In each city the courses offered include the following events:
- Lectures and visits to research groups in the physics department of the universities
- Visits to other research institutions and universities in the region
- Contacts to equality-oriented institutions and activities at the universities and cooperating institutions as well as in the national associations and foundations
- Lectures and discussions on gender & science studies
The concrete programme of the Summer School 2018 is still subject to change, but it will be structured similarly to the Programme of the Summer School 2017.
The summer school is part of the Erasmus+ Strategic Partnership 'Diversity in the Cultures of Physics' between Freie Universität Berlin, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Universitat de Barcelona, Uppsala Universitet, the University of Manchester, and the University of Sheffield.
The creation of these resources has been (partially) funded by the ERASMUS+ grant program of the European Union under grant no. 2016-1-DE01-KA203-002918.
Neither the European Commission nor the project's national funding agency DAAD are responsible for the content or liable for any losses or damage resulting of the use of these resources.