Summer School: July 17 - August 11, 2017
Barcelona: July 17 - July 29, 2017
Berlin: July 30 - August 11, 2017
A joint summer school "Diversity in the Cultures of Physics" will be held for young female physicists at Universitat de Barcelona, Universität Autònoma de Barcelona and at Freie Universität Berlin. The aim is to facilitate the transition from master to PhD and to open up transnational perspectives for a career in physics.
The summer school is aimed at young female physics students who:
- are enrolled in a master's program or at the beginning of their PhD
- study at Universitat de Barcelona, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona or Freie Universität Berlin
- are interested in the political and social framework of doing physics
- want to know more about how physics is shaped by gender and diversity
Aims of the Summer School
- gain an insight into the variety of research fields of women physicists in Europe
- establish contacts which may result in future collaborations and stays abroad while pursuing their graduate work
- get to know the professional networks in physics
- learn about national and international equality oriented advancement programs for young female scientists
- become familiar with work place cultures of physics in actual cultural, political and everyday context
- learn about equality politics at European universities and research institutions
- learn about the role of gender and diversity in physics
- Recognize and explore the diversity in the cultures of physics
Program of the Summer School
The participants will spend 4 weeks together in Barcelona (2 weeks) and in Berlin (2 weeks).
In each country the courses offered will include the following events:
- Lectures and visits to research groups in the Physics Department of the university
- Visits to other research institutions and universities in the region
- Contacts to equality-oriented institutions and activities at the universities and cooperating institutions as well as in the national associations and foundations,
- Lectures and discussions on gender & science studies.
To gain an impression of the structure of the Summer School see the programme of the Berlin-Uppsala summer school 2016.
The creation of these resources has been (partially) funded by the ERASMUS+ grant program of the European Union under grant no. 2016-1-DE01-KA203-002918.
Neither the European Commission nor the project's national funding agency DAAD are responsible for the content or liable for any losses or damage resulting of the use of these resources.