Preparation Workshop for the Participants of the summer school in Berlin und Uppsala
June 17, 2016 - 2pm
Summer School: August 1 - 26, 2016
Berlin: August 1 - 13, 2016
Uppsala: August 14 - 26, 2016
A joint summer school "Diversity in the Cultures of Physics" will be held for young physicists at Freie Universität Berlin and at Uppsala Universitet. The aim is to facilitate the transition from master to PhD and to open up transnational perspectives for a career in physics.
The summer school is aimed at young physics students who:
- are enrolled in a master's program or at the beginning of their PhD
- study at a university in Germany or Sweden
- are interested in the political and social framework of doing physics
- want to know more about how physics is shaped by gender and diversity
Aims of the Summer School
- gain an insight into the variety of research fields of women physicists in Europe
- establish contacts which may result in future collaborations and stays abroad while pursuing their graduate work
- get to know the professional networks in physics
- learn about national and international equality oriented advancement programs for young scientists
- become familiar with work place cultures of physics in actual cultural, political and everyday context
- learn about equality politics at European universities and research institutions
- learn about the role of gender and diversity in physics
- Recognize and explore the diversity in the cultures of physics
Program of the Summer School
The participants will spend 4 weeks together in Berlin (2 weeks) and in Uppsala (2 weeks).
In each country the courses offered will include the following events:
- Lectures and visits to research groups in the Physics Department of the university
- Visits to other research institutions and universities in the region
- Contacts to equality-oriented institutions and activities at the universities and cooperating institutions as well as in the national associations and foundations,
- Lectures and discussions on gender & science studies.
To gain an impression of the structure of the Summer School see the program of the pilot project in 2012.
Informations on how to apply can be found here.