Information about the application process will be announced in early 2018.
Summer School: August 06 – August 19, 2018
United Kingdom: August 06 – August 19, 2018
Berlin: August 20 – August 31, 2018
The joint summer school "Diversity in the Cultures of Physics" will be held for young female physicists at the University of Manchester, the University of Sheffield and at Freie Universität Berlin. The aim is to facilitate the steps to a PhD and empower women in their career planning.
The summer school is aimed at young female physics students who:
- are in the final phase of their Bachelor or enrolled in a Master's program or at the beginning of their PhD
- study at The University of Manchester, the University of Sheffield or any University in Germany
- are interested in the political and social framework of doing physics
- want to know more about how physics is shaped by gender and diversity
Aims of the Summer School
- gain an insight into the variety of research fields of women physicists in Europe
- establish contacts which may result in future collaborations and stays abroad
- get to know the professional networks in physics
- learn about national and international equality oriented advancement programs for young female scientists
- become familiar with work place cultures of physics in actual cultural, political and everyday context
- learn about equality politics at European universities and research institutions
- learn about the role of gender and diversity in physics
Program of the Summer School
The participants will spend four weeks together, two weeks in United Kingdom (Sheffield and Manchester) and two weeks in Berlin.
In each country the courses offered include the following events:
- Lectures and visits to research groups in the physics department of the universities
- Visits to other research institutions and universities in the region
- Contacts to equality-oriented institutions and activities at the universities and cooperating institutions as well as in the national associations and foundations,
- Lectures and discussions on gender & science studies.
The course plan of the summer school will be published soon.
The summer school is part of the Erasmus+ Strategic Partnership 'Diversity in the Cultures of Physics' between Freie Universität Berlin, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Universitat de Barcelona, Uppsala Universitet, the University of Manchester, and the University of Sheffield.
The creation of these resources has been (partially) funded by the ERASMUS+ grant program of the European Union under grant no. 2016-1-DE01-KA203-002918.
Neither the European Commission nor the project's national funding agency DAAD are responsible for the content or liable for any losses or damage resulting of the use of these resources.