The Summer School is a bilateral exchange programme for physicists who aspire to a PhD.
Summer School: July 22 - August 02 / August 12 - August 23, 2019
Berlin: July 22 - August 02, 2019
Uppsala: August 12 - August 23, 2019
The application deadline for FUB students is April 28, 2019. Click here for the application form.
The application deadline for UU students is March 24, 2019. Click here for the application form.
Applicants from other German or Swedish universities can apply for the Summer School, but are not eligible for the grant.
Successful applicants will have to attend a preparation seminar: The date will be announced soon.
“In conclusion, my opinion about the summer school is that I would recommend it to every female friend, since it helped me to think about things that I did not know or I did not care about.”
(Marika G., participant in 2017)
The Summer School "Diversity in the Cultures of Physics" 2019 will be held at the Freie Universität Berlin (FUB) and Universitet Uppsala (UU). The aspiration is to facilitate the steps to a PhD for especially young female physicists and empower them in their career planning.
The Summer School mainly targets young female physicists who:
- are in the final phase of their bachelor, enrolled in a master programme or at the beginning of their PhD
- study at FUB or UU (four places are also open for students of other Universities in Sweden or Germany although those students will unfortunately not receive financial support)
- are interested in the political and social framework of doing physics
- want to know more about how physics is shaped by gender and diversity
Aims of the Summer School
- gain an insight into the variety of research fields of women physicists in Europe
- establish contacts which may result in future collaborations and stays abroad
- get to know the professional networks in physics
- learn about national and international equality oriented advancement programs for young female scientists
- become familiar with work place cultures of physics in cultural, political and everyday context
- learn about equality politics at European universities and research institutions
- learn about the role of gender and diversity in physics
Programme of the Summer School
The participants will spend four weeks together, two weeks ind Berlin and two weeks in Uppsala.
In each city the courses offered include the following events:
- Lectures and visits to research groups in the physics department of the universities
- Visits to other research institutions and universities in the region
- Contacts to equality-oriented institutions and activities at the universities and cooperating institutions as well as in the national associations and foundations
- Lectures and discussions on gender & science studies
The concrete programme of the Summer School 2019 is still subject to change, but it will be structured similarly to the Programme of the Summer School 2018 in Sheffield - Manchester -Berlin.
If you have urgent question please contact:
Leli Schiestl (coordinator Berlin): d.schiestl[at]fu-berlin.de
Karin Schönning (coordinator Uppsala): karin.schonning[at]physics.uu.se
We welcome if you would like to present the project "Diversity in the Cultures of Physics" at your university or any conference. Here you can find our poster and a short powerpoint presentation.
The summer school is part of the Erasmus+ Strategic Partnership 'Diversity in the Cultures of Physics' between Freie Universität Berlin, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Universitat de Barcelona, Uppsala Universitet, the University of Manchester, and the University of Sheffield.
The creation of these resources has been (partially) funded by the ERASMUS+ grant program of the European Union under grant no. 2016-1-DE01-KA203-002918.
Neither the European Commission nor the project's national funding agency DAAD are responsible for the content or liable for any losses or damage resulting of the use of these resources.