Working Group on Sustainability
In December 2019, Freie Universität Berlin (FUB) declared the climate emergency; it wants to become climate-neutral by 2025. At the beginning of 2020, the Sustainability Working Group has been established at the Department of Physics. It has set itself the goal of examining the activities of the department with regard to their ecological sustainability. The working group wants to advance and make visible new as well as existing efforts in this area.
It is an aim of the working group to assess the current resource consumption and greenhouse gas emissions, in order to make proposals for reduction or compensation schemes. Areas that the working group wants to address include air travel, power consumption (e.g. of large computer clusters), material consumption and waste production.
Moreover, the working group will deal with the following questions and collect answers centrally:
- What will change after declaration of the climate emergency by FUB?
- To what extent would research on the topic of sustainability, climate science, and renewable energy be sensible at the physics department? Where does it already exist?
- How can sustainability, climate science, and renewable energy topics be integrated into the curriculum or special teaching activities? Where are these topics already integrated?
- Are information events aimed, for example, at schoolchildren or in general at a broader public, a suitable means of strengthening sustainability and climate protection? What is already going on?
- What are future occupational fields (for physicists) in the areas of sustainability, climate protection and renewable energies?
We are open to new suggestions and impulses. If you would like to support the department's sustainability strategy with good ideas and projects, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.
Do you feel like getting involved more deeply in this topic yourself? The working group is always open for new members or interested persons. Send also for this simply a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following core members of the Sustainability Working Group members have been elected by the department council (Fachbereichsrat):
- Prof. Dr. Holger Dau - professor of experimental physics
- Jörg Behrmann - IT employee
- Finn Krein - student of physics
- Fritz Röckenwagner - student of physics
- Anton Trenczek - student of physics
- Benjamin Ünzelmann - student of physics